Working in small groups, students will identify healthy sources of calcium, and investigate how many daily serves of milk, yoghurt and cheese are required for their age group, and present their findings to the class.
At the end of this lesson, students will be able to
- Understand why our bodies need calcium each day, and the possible health consequences of not eating enough calcium,
- Identify foods and drinks that are good sources of calcium, that are also Superhero Foods,
- Provide examples of one serve of milk, yoghurt and cheese as per the Australian Dietary Guidelines,
- Plan meals for one day, that meet recommended calcium serves.
This lesson plan will download as a Zip folder and contains the following resources:
- Daily meal plans
- Food pictures
- Calcium serves sheet
- Australian Guide to Healthy Eating (AGHE) poster
- Picture of X-Ray broken arm
- Picture of normal bone vs. osteoporotic bone
- Zombie Foods Poster
- Superhero Foods Poster
- Body Monsters Poster